This Week’s Highlights/In the Future…

Image result for martin luther king jr

In honor of Martin Luther King, J.r., we began our study of who he was and how he changed our world for the better. Building off of the background knowledge established in previous lessons, we read about his life. As I begin teaching about MLK, I always need to allow the children time to reflect about what it means to be segregated. The children often compare it to what they know in their world, which is bullying. The innocence of children and natural curiosity of gifted children in particular, usually starts an honest conversation about prejudice. It can be very confusing to children because they don’t see differences as a big deal. What a wonderful thing! 

We talked about why MLK had boycotts and what that meant. We defined what peace means to us and to our world. To take our lesson further, we all came up with a dream that would change the world, as well as what peace means to each and every one of us. I encouraged them to think big! I also reminded them that peace is different for everyone and they should try to think of things that no one else knows about them. We then collaborated on a, “Peace Means…” sign for our room. We all took a section to decorate and make it as colorful as our world.  

Outside fun! Recess is so much more fun when there is SNOW! Thought you’d like a peak into our day…

Welcome back, Ayan! After a month of traveling, Ayan finally returned. Here is Ayan sharing about his trip with pictures of him meeting dolphins! Whenever a special trip, event, or learning experience comes up, please feel free to send me photos. Your child can share them with the class. This gives everyone a chance to practice presenting, as well as being a good audience member. 

In the Future…

• NO SCHOOL-Monday, January 20th for Martin Luther King, J.r. Day

• F.Y.I.-We will follow a Monday Schedule on Tuesday, January 21st. 

• Lower School Informance Week-Sign up online to come check out your child’s Drama class!

• Open House-Sunday, February 2nd 

• Odyssey Night-6:00 p.m.

• NO SCHOOL-Friday, February 14th and Monday, February 17th for President’s Day Weekend.

• We will be celebrating our 100th day of school in February!

• We have Fire Safety and Officer Friendly programs scheduled in February and March.

• We have a K-2 musical performance March 11th.

• Our Auction is coming soon on Saturday, March 14th.

Phew…that’s alot!